020 4530 8101
Mon - Sat 09:00-20:00
Free Consultation
020 4530 8101
Mon - Sat 09:00-20:00
Free Consultation

How to change your name after divorce – everything you need to know.

After you divorce or end your civil partnership you might want to change back to your maiden name. You can do this by showing record-holders such as the DVLA and banks your marriage certificate and decree absolute, or your civil partnership certificate and final order.

Unfortunately, the courts do not return marriage certificates once a divorce is finalised so you will have to order a replacement. Read more here.

An alternative is to change your name by deed poll and present this document instead.

Changing your name by deed poll

A change of name deed is simply a document that contains the following three declarations:

  • I am abandoning my previous name.
  • I will use my new name at all times.
  • I require all persons to address me by my new name only.

You must sign and date this declaration in both your old and your new name. Your new name must contain both a forename and a surname and be pronounceable, as well as following other common-sense restrictions specified by the Home Office.

Two unrelated witnesses have to sign the deed poll and give their name, occupations and addresses.

You can apply for it yourself here using Ministry of Justice form LoC020 for £42.44.

Changing a child’s name by deed poll

Changing your child’s name by deed poll is more complicated. Everyone who has legal responsibility for the child must give their consent to the change in an accompanying letter, and if the child is aged 16 or 17, he or she should also approve.

Changing your name on a Passport

To change the name on your passport after your divorce, you will have to renew it, which costs £72.50. However, you can use a passport in your married name until it expires. Just make sure that your travel documents match the name on your passport, or you may not be allowed to travel.

Changing your name on a driving licence

You must immediately change your name on your driving licence if you decide to change your name following divorce. There is no charge for doing this using form D1 Application for a driving licence. You can receive a fine of up to £1000 if you fail to notify the DVLA of a name change.

Updating the Electrol Roll

It’s important to update your details on the electoral roll, as it will affect your credit rating in your new name. You can do this for free here.

Land Registry

Beware of solicitors trying to charge you to register a name change at the Land Registry. You can do it for free using form AP1 here.

Other organisations to notify of your name change.

Here is a list of other organisations that you should notify if you decide to change your name after divorce. None of these should charge you to make the change:

Banks, doctors, dentists, employers, nurseries, schools, HMRC, insurance companies, TV licensing, subscription services such as Netflix or Sky, council tax, and utility companies.


  • Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

We use your data to provide and improve the Service. By using the Service, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy. Unless otherwise defined in this Privacy Policy, terms used in this Privacy Policy have the same meanings as in our Terms and Conditions, accessible from https://www.easyonlinedivorce.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

You read our full policy here: https://www.easyonlinedivorce.co.uk/privacy-policy/